I want my clients to be 100% informed so I have put together a list of the most common questions and provided answers below. If there’s anything that I have not covered, please feel free to drop me a line here and I will be happy to help.
Do You Work From A Studio Or On Location?
Both. I work from the Grain Store Studio, which is 2 minutes from J7 of the M2 and offers free on-site parking. I also work on location and can provide a full team headshot service at your office or place of work. I have a full custom lighting and background setup which can be used in a boardroom or meeting room, giving a convenient way of getting what you need with minimum disruption to your schedule.
Do You Recommend Using A Hair And Makeup Artist?
Makeup and hair styling for your session is highly recommended for women. It has a significant impact on the quality of the end result. I work with a select number of artists who are experienced in creating a subtle, professional look that compliments my work. Their fee is £75 for an individual or half day session and £100 for a full day session. This is payable directly to the artist. If you require this service, I will handle the organisation and booking of the artist on your behalf.
I do not recommend makeup for men. It is however wise to have a fresh hair cut 24-48 hrs before your session.
For an individual session it is recommended that you come to your session without make up applied. My makeup artist will consult with you to create a look that you feel comfortable with that will also work well in front of camera. The entire process takes approximately 1 hour. They are available throughout the session and will make any required changes as the session progresses.
For half and full day sessions for teams it is recommended you come to your pre-agreed slot as you would for a regular day at work, with your normal level of makeup applied. My makeup artist will then consult with you before making any changes needed to be camera ready. She will be available throughout the session to make any required changes.
Can You Advise Me On What To Wear To My Session?
Yes. Every client is provided with a guidance document prior to their session with information on what and what not to wear. If you’re unsure about what colours and styles would work best for you or your team I can arrange a style consultation with Deborah Turner of You Image Consultancy who will be happy to help you out. Additional costs will apply. If you require any more information on this service please contact me and I will arrange for Deborah to speak with you.
Can I Get More Information On Your Team Of Artists?
Do You Have Any Reviews Or Testimonials I Can See?
Yes. You can find a selection of them here.
How Would You Describe Your Style?
Clean and expression driven with a respect for modern websites, social media and mobile/tablet use.
My work is specifically designed to ensure that you or your team portray both confidence and approachability, which gives the viewer the impression of experience, competence and friendliness.
Ultimately, this encourages more people to make contact with you, which gets you more business.
Being a headshot photographer is a bit like being a dentist. People know they need you but they usually don’t enjoy the experience. With me, it’s different. I appreciate the fact that my clients often have little or no experience being in front of a camera. They don’t know what to do or how to behave. They naturally worry about how they look. They often say things like “I’m not photogenic” or “You’ll never get a good photo of me” I take all of that uncertainty away. I know exactly how to make sure that you portray both confidence and approachability and I will tell you what you need to do to get it and what’s more make it an enjoyable process.
Getting a great headshot goes beyond standing someone in front of a lens, enthusiastically saying “smile!” and hitting the button. When I have someone in front of my camera, I become their mirror, an expression coach, guiding them to the best headshot they have ever had.
I'm A Bit Nervous About Being Photographed, Can You Help?
Yes. The vast majority of my clients bring at least some level of anxiety to their session. It could be based on a number of factors, perhaps a previous bad experience with a photographer or being worried that they won’t get the quality of images they need.
I’ve had the pleasure of photographing hundreds of clients, each one of them unique. Each one of them has also helped me to learn and grow as a photographer. Over the years I have developed my eye and my style to a level whereby I know exactly what I need to create the headshots that you need to do the best job of promoting you and your business. This means I will spend the entire shoot guiding and coaching you through the process. There are no awkward silences where you don’t know what to do next. I take that fear away.
To ensure that you are getting exactly the quality of images that you need, the entire session is shot directly onto a large laptop screen. Each image is shown in real-time allowing both you and I to accurately assess how the session is progressing. Periodically, we will go through the session thus far and I will guide you on what looks great and what needs a little more attention. During this process you will have the opportunity to ask any questions or make any points you need to.
Can You Tell Me A Bit About The Process?
- Pre-Session – Once you have booked your session date, you’ll receive some guidance from me on what wardrobe options would be the most appropriate. If you are unsure what colour schemes would work best, I can recommend a professional image consultant to help you out.
- Hair and Make Up – For the ladies, I highly recommend a hair and make up artist. I work with a number of experienced artists who will take your individual look and make it camera ready.
- Magic Time – On your agreed session date, we create the magic. I always encourage a variety of different clothing looks, angles and expressions that give you a range of options. I will coach you through the entire process. Every image is taken directly onto a computer screen and periodically we will stop and review the session up until that point. It helps me to guide you in what’s working great and what we need to work on and it allows you to be sure you’re getting exactly what you need.
- Review – After the session is complete we will review the images we have created, mark the ones we love and discard the ones we don’t. If you would like to ask the opinion of your colleagues/friends/family/agent then I will create an online proofing gallery with a unique link you can share with them. I’ve created an incredibly simple process to then let me know which images you love the most.
- Retouching – Your choices are then subtly retouched by my specialist retoucher. I often get asked how much retouching is involved, usually because people are worried they will end up looking like a china doll parody of themselves. Less is more is my motto here. Unless you’ve told someone the image has been retouched they would never know. Most of the work to make you look your very best is done at the time of your session, through my custom lighting setup and my expression coaching. The post production retouching is the cherry on the icing on the cake.
- Delivery – Your final retouched images are supplied to you in both print and online resolutions, ready for social media or website use, via a unique digital download link.
What Do You Mean By 'Retouching'?
Each image undergoes a bespoke process following your session to both prepare the file to be used in the various print and online formats and to ensure that the quality of the image represents you at your very best.
Temporary blemishes and stray hairs are removed and skin tone is adjusted. This process is designed to be subtle, flattering and realistic.
All retouching work is performed by my specialist retoucher. She is experienced in providing a result that is appropriate for business headshots and showcases you at your very best.
When And How Do You Take Payment?
Individual session fees are due at the time of booking by credit/debit card, bank transfer or via PayPal. Details are provided at the time of booking. If a makeup artist is required, their fee is payable to the artist directly on the day of your session.
For half and full day sessions, please contact me for payment details.
How Do I Choose My Favourite Images?
Depending on your preference, we can either go through the images at the end of the session together and choose your favourites or I can upload the best options to a private online gallery for you to choose in your own time. Any images that will not present you in the way you need are not included in this gallery. You are welcome to share this gallery with friends, family or colleagues if you require a second opinion.
How Are The Retouched Images Delivered?
Your images are delivered via a secure, private online gallery. If you chose the option to view your selects via the online gallery, the same address and login details apply for both. This gallery is accessible for one year from the date of delivery.
For individual, half and full day sessions all images are delivered in an 8×10 crop for print use, an 8×10 crop for website use and a square crop sized for social media use.
My mini-sessions include one square crop sized for social media use and an 8×10 crop for website use.
All files are delivered in JPEG format.
Additional formats and sizes can be provided upon request however please note that I do not supply unretouched RAW files as they are not the final product.